A New Jersey woman suffered first and second degree burns when a pressure cooker she purchased from the Home Shopping Network unexpectedly sprayed her with boiling water, according to a personal injury suit filed at the Philadelphia Court of Common Pleas.
As reported by The Pennsylvania Record McGowan, of Berlin, N.J., seeks compensatory and punitive damages in excess of $100,000 on nine separate counts from HSN and the maker of the appliance, Wolfgang Puck Worldwide, Inc.
According to the complaint, McGowan purchased the pressure cooker on June 7, 2008, through an order placed on HSN. Pressure cookers prepare food by boiling liquids inside a sealed pot, producing steam that is captured inside the appliance.
On March 17, 2013, McGowan began preparing a meal of corned beef and cabbage by mixing all the ingredients and closing the lid of the pressure cooker. 70 minutes later, according to the complaint, McGowan placed additional ingredients into the pot, secured the lid and set the timer for an additional seven minutes.
When the time was up, McGowan moved the pressure cooker back on the counter, and the lid allegedly shot into the air, spraying hot liquid onto her face and chest and causing severe burns.
McGowan claims that the defendants displayed gross negligence by designing, manufacturing and selling the device and failing to ensure that the pressure cooker would not explode. The defendants also allegedly failed to properly inspect the device or adequately warn the users of potential hazards. The design and manufacture of the appliance was completely in the defendants’ hands, the suit says, which makes them solely responsible for the injuries suffered by McGowan.
The suit also claims a breach of warranty because the sale of the appliance implied that it was safe for its ordinary use by the plaintiff. McGowan’s husband, Richard, has also filed for loss of consortium with his wife, claiming the injury deprived him of McGowan’s support and companionship.